Top 5 LMS Benefits for HE Students
The development of learning management systems for HE institutions
- Started with meeting the needs of administrators
(know which student is enrolled in which course, what grades they have or if the tuition has been paid)
- went on to meeting the needs of professors
(create engaging lessons online, assess student knowledge and better communicate with them)
- and finally meeting the needs of the students.
Here are five benefits that an LMS brings to students of Higher Education
Various and engaging learning content
- Lectures in video format
- Visual graphics
- Interactive learning scenarios
- 360° simulations
- Student agency
- Control over their learning process
- Less peer pressure
- Higher participation rates
- Many HE students are actually working adults.
- Competency-based courses allow students to skip the content they already know and spend more time on those parts of the course they have not mastered yet.
Online collaboration tools
- Instant messaging
- Online chats
- Shared calendars
- Community groups
All accessed though the same platform that is used for learning-related activities.
Holistic view of own performance
LMS learning analytics allow HE students to:
- assess their progress
- develop learning plans based on their learning goals
- improve their personal learning performance.
- 3 Habits of highly effective online teachers
- Another 3 habits of effective e-teachers
- Practical applications of Constructivism in the online classroom
- "What's Everybody So Excited About?": The Effects of Teacher Enthusiasm on Student Intrinsic Motivation and Vitality, The Journal of Experimental Education
- Curator educators: being a teacher in the information age
Visit the NEO Blog for insightful posts on EdTech for K-12 and Higher Ed.